Thursday, August 13, 2015

Go-To List



Hi guys!

I hope you all are having a great week. One thing I get asked a lot about is what to eat in between meals, how I feel about gluten and what do I eat on a regular basis. Well, I will just say that wellness, diet, exercise, etc. is all an experiment. What works for your friend, might not work for you and vice versa. I don't believe in one diet fits all. We have a different chemical make up and we need to honor our bodies and its needs, without being in our heads or egos about what is "yogic," "healthy" or "unhealthy," because it's different for everyone.

Here are some of my go-to tips:

1. Eat fat. Yep. Think good fats: omegas, fatty acids. Your body needs fat, it's good for your skin and essential to a healthy brain and nervous system. I love walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, avocados and Udo's oil introduced to me by Betina Henschell. :)

2. Water. Water. Water. At least two liters

3. Let's talk about bread for a minute. Currently, I would love a bread maker to make my own, but since I can't have one right now, I stick to pretty much gluten-free options. My FAVORITE is Canyon Bakehouse Bread that offer a variety. Check it out here: http://canyonglutenfree.com/. I also like Rudi's. The main thing with bread is to look at the ingredients. As they say, you want to be able to pronounce them.

4. Almond Butter

5. Cook a warm meal

6. Sip warm water with lemon. It's great for digestion.

7. Fresh fruit

8. Fresh veggies. I like to eat a lot of baby carrots, radishes, broccoli with hummus.

9. Dark Chocolate. I eat it every day.

10. Enjoy everything you eat, if you don't enjoy it, don't eat it.

Through the years, I have gone in many stages and phases of trying to figure out what I think "healthy" means. I found that a lot of these years were spent using my head instead of really being "in" and connected to my body. The thing I've learned is to listen to my body and nourish it. I think as a society our relationship with food has become very distorted. We love it. We hate it. We restrict it. We eat too much of it. We don't know what to do with it. I listened to a lecture through the Integrative Institute for Nutrition about how our relationship with food reflects our relationship to life. There is a really good book for any of you ladies out there interested written by Geneen Roth. Here is a link: https://geneenroth.com/books/
For you guys out there, it's imperative for you too to take care of yourselves. Another great video is from Brene Brown, Listening to Shame.

As a collective, we are here to support each other and the practice of yoga is to nourish you. Don't skimp on nourishing yourselves. You deserve your love and support.

Nourish yourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment