Thursday, March 7, 2013

Yogi of the Month :: Lauren Murphy


Check out how this marathoner kept going without hitting the wall, injury or soreness...
Maitri's Yogi of the Month Q&A, with a shout out to Arsagas. If you haven't been and live in Fayetteville you must go. Best crepes in town!


Meet Lauren Murphy...

Why did you start practicing yoga?
I started practicing because it forced me to stretch, and I knew the poses and practice would strengthen my running.

What surprising things have you gained since practicing?
I have realized that yoga can be a workout routine all by itself.  I used to think that yoga was a slow and boring exercise, but after trying Maitri, I understand that you just have to find the right style for you.  Vinyasa is the perfect blend of sweat, cardio, and strength for me, and I think people looking for a more active routine would agree.  The beauty of it all is that I don't feel exhausted after an hour and a half; instead, I feel rinsed out, energized, and uplifted!

Finally, I've just recently seen the tangible, positive results from my practice:  I ran a marathon without injury, without hitting the wall at any point during the 26-mile run, and without much soreness in the days following.  Plus, it was my second best time!  I give full credit to yoga for one of my best marathon experiences, and I will be sure to couple the two workouts for future training purposes.
What's your favorite pose?
My favorite pose is Trikonasana, or Triangle Pose.  It stretches the tightest parts of my body and feels like a standing massage!

What would you say keeps you coming back to the mat?
The sweat, the community, and the incredible sense of accomplishment and relaxation I feel when I leave the studio.

What would you tell people who would like to try yoga, but haven't yet?
It will change your body and mind.  I know this because I've seen it in others and I've felt it for myself.  And while yoga will certainly strengthen your body, it will also affect a host of positive changes in nooks and crannies of your life that you never knew existed or needed change.

What is your favorite benefit of yoga?
The lean and mean muscles I'm developing that never received the attention they deserved through running or other exercise!

What's your favorite restaurant in Fayetteville?
Hippie shout out to Arsaga's for the clean and yummy food they make.
Thanks!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment